This week marks a special week for me – the last of my sweet twenties as I approach dirty thirty on Thursday 15th October!
On my to-do list includes visiting the 14th Istanbul Bienniale – art lovers stay tuned for my review which will include lots of pictures and a video (sometimes pictures just speak for themselves).
Look out for my reviews on culture, food and of course interviewers with tips on making contacts and more!
Here are some recommendations from my friend and ex-Istanbul resident, Victoria:
“So of course you need to go to the grand bazaar which in Turkish is Kapalıçarşı and also do a bosphorus boat tour in the day time you can get a boat from Eminonu Galata bridge, in Taksim go to Ostiklal Cadessi which is like Oxford Street (in London). And for great bars I recommend an area near Taksim called Pera and also near there is an area called Asmali Mescit… Loads of great little bars you will love it!! Also you really need to go here one of my favorite spots, La Fée! Try to go there on a Friday night for dinner.”
Another friend, Murat recommended (a list!): PLACESES YOU MUST SEE IN ISTANBUL
1. BASILICA CISTERN http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerebatan_Sarayi
3. TOPKAPI PALACE http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topkapı_Palace
4. SULTANAHMET MOSQUE(BLUE MOSQUE ) http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_Ahmed_Mosque
5. GALATA TOWER http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galata_Tower 6. KIZ KULESI http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiz_Kulesi 7. RUMELI HISARI http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumelia
8.KAPALI CARSI http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapali_Carsi
9. MISIR CARSISI http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spice_Bazaar,_Istanbul
THINGS YOU CAN DO
1. Bosphorus Cruise Tour
2. EAT FISH BREAD http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g293974-d2276148-r134167786-Eminonu_Square-Istanbul.html
3. TUNEL http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tünel
4. Nostaljik tramvay http://tr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostaljik_tramvay
PLACE WHERE I USED TO WORK. GOOD PLACE TO VISIT AND HAVE A DRINK BEAUTIFULL SCENERY
PLACE WHERE YOU CAN EAT CHEAP AND QUALITY FOOD
MOST PLACES CALLED LOKANTA NOT RESTAURANT ( THEY ARE USUALLY MORE EXPENSIVE) LOKANTA’S ARE USUALLY ARENT ON MAIN STREETS BUT SOME OF THEM ARE. HAVE LOOK AROUND WHEN YOU ARE IN BEYOGLU/TAKSIM ON ISTIKLAL STREET.
Another friend Ameer added: “I’d recommend you to go to Kadikoy neighborhood and check out hush hostel, there are both really cool places.”
Miriam, currently traveling around India, found time to give a recommendation: “Stay in Kadikoy! It is on the asian side… From there you have boats to Eminonu (old European side) and to Karakoy/Besiktas (new European side). And Eminonu is where you can walk to the grand bazar and Sultanahmet… From karakoy you take a trem to go to taksim. The boats take about 10min … And Kadikoy is beautiful and you dont have the fuss of Taksim. It’s a great – full of cool people and cool places, and less commercial than Taksim… Taksim is good for visiting, see the main street (Istiklal Cadesi) but don’t stay there, too many people! Hip hop clubs in Istanbul: Supper club and Masquerade . You should definitely go there, you will like it… smile emoticon”
Share your recommendations on places to visit in the box below.
Want to give a birthday gift? Please donate towards #Art4ChangeHaiti project and help with my mission to get children living in homeless shelters/camps into education. CLICK HERE