If you choose to be in Salvador da Bahia for the ‘The biggest street party in the world’ as opposed to Rio’s world-famous Sambadrome, or any other carnival in Brazil for that matter, there is most probably a reason behind this decision.
Salvador is the capital of Bahia state, and also the capital home of African heritage in Brazil. Homage is paid to the African roots of this historical city through music, dance, food, religion and culture, brought by African slaves on ships from the continent. But do not expect to be in Africa… This cultural fusion is distinctively and proudly African-Brazilian!
So with that in mind, you choose carnival in Salvador because you want the ‘Afro-Brazilian’ experience. Good choice!
Carnival Ouro Negro- Black Gold is for you!
Leave behind any clichés of Brazilian carnival you may have. In this city it’s all about the music, and the participants are the performers transforming their abadá (bloco t-shirt) into haute-couture outfits dancing in the make-shift dance floor cordoned off with rope by the cordeiros. Pipocas (spectators) watch on, enjoying a free party. There are no tiny glitzy-feathered costumes (unless worn by men in drag!) or perfectly performed samba routines here… What goes on in streets of Salvador is between you and the music!
I captured some highlight of some of the Afro blocos such as; Ilê Aiyê, Os Negões, Olodum, and Malê Debalê (to name a few) in Circuito Batatinha- Pelourinho and Circuito Osmar- Campo Grand. A range of leaflets and guides are available at Information centres in Salvador.
Photos are ⒸKai Lutterodt. Please contact me directly if interested for publication.
Special thanks to Kwamy Hashid for capturing photos of me and allowing me to use them for my blog.
I felt PROUD to be an African in Brazil!… Which event has made you feel a sense of pride?
- Press stop- Pelourinho! (travelmakerkai.wordpress.com)
- A taste of Carnival in Salvador… Press pass access! (travelmakerkai.wordpress.com)
- Spike Lee captures Carnival in Maragojipe! (travelmakerkai.wordpress.com)
- I saw this and thought… wow (travelmakerkai.wordpress.com)
- Experience Carnival… with Airbnb! (travelmakerkai.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Proud
- “Go Brazil Go” Spike Lee documents on Brazil (travelmakerkai.wordpress.com)
- Journey through History in Brazil… The Malê Revolt. (travelmakerkai.wordpress.com)